Monday, December 11, 2017

Dungeons and Donuts

Dutch and I keep a regular game of DnD going with 4 of our good friends. We meet almost every weekend, and when we get together on Sundays we like to share a brunch as we get into the mix of things.

This week everyone was a little tight on cash due to the seasonal costs of knowing too many people, so we decided to keep it small and just do breakfast at the host's place. We all happened to also be together the evening before and I have no idea how I thought of donuts (though why I don't always think of donuts I'm not certain either), but the subject was broached and I mentioned a new donut shop that opened in Draper not far from us. Star Donuts. It's a small shop near Smith's and Petco and it is

open

24/7

all the time.
Not to mention that the donuts aren't the crud you get at grocery stores or the Lehi Main Street bakery. THESE ARE GLORIOUS GREASY SONS OF GUNS. Not overly greasy either. They don't keep a giant front display, so the donuts are constantly coming in and out of the kitchen fresh. We got 5 dozen donuts, picked by the owner himself (I didn't get his name but bless that young man for being there 6 days a week), and I let him know it's my favorite donut place in the state.

Let me explain. I'm not from this area, nor is Dutch. Where I am from, donut shops are family owned stores that will bribe you into coming back as often as possible. You ordered two donuts and a croissant? Here's an extra half dozen donut holes. Remember us the next time you want breakfast. You need a pick me up between early morning seminary and marching band practice? We're your place. Grocery store donuts, the semi-stale cakey butterless pieces of pumice stone that grate your stomach lining and chip away at your life expectancy... Those are for the lazy. You couldn't get a long well without finding your niche shop in even the smallest of towns. AND THOSE PEOPLE HAD TO COMPETE WITH KOLACHE SHOPS. It's not an easy market. I didn't realized till I moved to Utah that I had "unreasonably" high expectations from my breakfast pastries.

Nonetheless, I've found my new niche. Star Donuts is reasonably priced, and the staff is always delightful. They carry all my regular orders, from basic glazed to old fashioned blueberry cake, devils food, chocolate eclair, apple fritters, raspberry jam filled, even bagels and croissant sandwiches. I'm a happy breakfast eater once again, thank goodness.

As always, let me know what your experience is with donut vendors in the area. Share with us if you've tried Star Donuts for yourself, or if you are a true-blue fan of another shop around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment